1. the scenery was beautiful beyond ________ (express).
2. they can communicate even when they strongly ________ (agree).
3. the company is run almost ________ (entire) by middle-aged men.
4. although she ________ (like) going to parties, she knew she had to be there.
5. she's sure to get the job she wants — she's a very ________ (determine) person.
1. health education will play a part ________ preparing us for old age.
2. my brother is fond ________ pointing out my mistakes.
3. calm ________ and tell me what happened.
4. people here have a more relaxed attitude ________ their work.
5. my friend jim is recovering ________ a knee injury.
6. teaching is an art based ________ a science.
1. add up; pack up; come up
①he wrote down the weight of each stone and then ________________ all the weights.
②a girl ________________ to him and asked for money.
③let's ________________ and spend a week in the countryside.
2. set down; suffer from; join in; care about; give in
①all she ________________ is her social life.
②helen never ________________; she always plays on her own.
③officials say they won't ________________ to the workers' demands.
④david has been in hospital for several weeks ________________ headaches.
⑤clear guidelines have been ________________ for teachers.
1. david seems to do these things ________ ________ (有意地).
2. have you ________ ________ ________ ________ (决定) where to go for your holiday?
3. she has been worrying ________ ________ (自从) she heard the news.
4. the encouraging news is that building work on the rest is largely ________ ________(准时).
5. carl ________ ________ ________ (改变了主意) and decided to become a writer.
6. they sat ________ ________ ________ (面对面) with each other without a word．
7. susan ________ ________ ________ ________ (充分利用) her time there to learn english.
8. take the first road ________ ________ ________ (在你的左边) and then follow the signs.
1. “the plane is just a 16-seater,” the lady explained.
2. tony said, “don't use hotel shampoo, ben.”
3. “would you buy me some notebooks?” david asked.
4. “do you go home every weekend?” tom asked me.
5. he asked me, “where are you going on your next trip?”
6. the teacher said to the boy, “lock the door before you leave the classroom.”
1. she ________________ (makes / is making) a speech at the conference next week.
2. i ________________ (am staying / stay) home — it's raining heavily and i haven't got an umbrella.
3. we ________________ (have / are having) noodles for dinner. is that okay for you?
4. —what will you do with this box?
—if you just leave it there, i ________________ (will take / take) it upstairs when i go.
5. —adele ________________ (gives / is giving) a concert in milan next month.
—shall i book some tickets?
have you made up your mind where you're going for christmas yet? perhaps you can be persuaded 1. ________ (travel) to lisbon? if you’d prefer a white christmas, forget it. the weather forecast won't be for snow in this seaside city. 2. ________ (it) winters are mild (温和的). but it does have a lot of other 3. ________ (wonder) things going for it, such as christmas lights and europe’s largest christmas tree. lisbon's giant steel christmas tree can 4. ________ (find) in praca do comercio, the largest of lisbon's squares, 5. ________ (cover) in thousands of beautiful lights. the tree has been put up yearly there ever 6. ________ 2004. its height varies, but it's always tall and reached its 7. ________ (high) height, 76 meters (249ft), in 2007. in addition, over 2 million light bulbs are used to light up the streets. christmas eve is the big christmas meal here. on that day you'll be treated to king cake instead of christmas pudding and salted cod instead of turkey, but you'll soon be fond 8. ________ both these delicious treats. the salted cod is served with plenty of cabbage and potatoes followed by king cake, 9. ________ is stuffed (塞满) full of nuts and candied fruit. 10. ________ (final), the meal is finished off with lisbon's own ginjinha, a sweet and sour drink made from cherries. boas festas as they say in portugal!
do you speak any indian languages? actually, if you speak english, chances are you do; at least some indian words, anyway. most of the indian vocabulary 1. ________ (use) by english speakers arrived in britain in the 19th century because 2. ________ the days of british rule in india and are now heard everywhere in the world where english is a common language. if you're a mother for example you might put your baby 3. ________ (sleep) in a cot (幼儿床), which is a hindi word, and to wash your hair in the morning before 4. ________ (go) to work, you'll need shampoo, 5. ________ is based on a hindi word meaning to squeeze. after work, you might be looking forward to having 6. ________ nice cushy weekend. cushy is a hindi or urdu term for pleasure and 7. ________ (arrive) in the uk during wwi. in addition to these and many other words, english people know the 8. ________ (name) of dozens of indian dishes and foods, many ingredients (成分) of which can 9. ________ (find) in english homes as well as supermarkets. so you see everywhere where english is a common language, indian words can 10. ________ (frequent) be heard and indian food and culture easily found.